search tips advanced search
Detail from the Last Supper stained glass window in All Saints Parish Church Croydon, in memory of Sophia Mirabella Sandilands, wife of the rector 1859 Wimpole Past Logo
Speculum Gregis 1843
'An Account of all the Inhabitants of the Parish of Croydon
in the County of Cambridgeshire commencing from 1 January 1843'
by Reverend Francis Fulford 1803-1868 (Rector at Croydon 1841-1845).
Additional notes by Reverend R S B Sandilands (Rector 1845-1864).
Croydon Cottage c1900 John Blowes (1825-1908) 'Axe & Compass' P.H. (as rebuilt) Grave Marker - Mary Ann Pell High Street (1920s)
Procession to the dedication of Croydon's War Memorial, January 1922 'Axe & Compass' P.H. c1914 (before the fire) - Page 1. Ruth Endersby (1820-1902)- Page 37 William Endersby (1819-1897)- Page 37 Headstones, Simons Family - Page 71
Introduction and Index
The Reverend Francis Fulford was appointed Rector of Croydon-cum-Clopton in Cambridgeshire in July 1841, remaining in that parish for four years. In January 1843 he began to compile a list of inhabitants adding their ages, occupations, literacy and church attendance as well as some 'off the cuff' comments.
The notebook - a "Speculum Gregis" - or Mirror of his Flock - was updated by his successor, the Reverend R S B Sandilands until 1848, when it was put away with other parish documents, and eventually after the departure of the last resident Rector, was deposited in the Cambridgeshire Record Office (P 53/1/11).
An earlier transcription of the "Speculum Gregis" was published as "The Rector and his Flock" in 1980 by Bassingbourn Booklets, with
 
additional commentary by editor David Ellison.
The transcription used on this website (currently pages 1 to 29 inclusive) is my own and taken from the original document.
This new, rebuilt (2021) and corrected online version of the "Speculum Gregis" has the original Fulford preface, the Ellison introduction, the full text of all 91 pages (both basic and annotated), additional genealogical information, a detailed alphabetical index of names, and background material on the Reverend Francis Fulford, the village Rector who went on to become the first Bishop of Montreal in Canada.
Steve Odell
The 'Speculum Gregis' site was transferred here in mid-February 2021.
The original site was never finished and visually was something of a patchwork (being assembled from several earlier versions).
It is the intention to rebuild and finish this final 'Speculum Gregis' site when time and inclination permits.
Some pages have already been rebuilt and those considered complete are marked with a "*" in the index below.
The Speculum Gregis 1843-1848:
- Home Page*
- The 1843 Preface* (by the Rev Francis Fulford)
Annotated Pages:
- Pages 1 to 9
- Pages 10 to 19
- Pages 20 to 29
- Pages 30 to 39
- Pages 40 to 49
- Pages 50 to 59
- Pages 60 to 69
- Pages 70 to 79
- Pages 80 to 91
Basic Pages:
- Pages 1 to 9
- Pages 10 to 19
- Pages 20 to 29
- Pages 30 to 39
- Pages 40 to 49
- Pages 50 to 59
- Pages 60 to 69
- Pages 70 to 79
- Pages 80 to 91
Index of Names (Alphabetical):
- Surnames A to H - (Allen to Hows)
- Surnames I to L - (Ilot to Lyon)
- Surnames M to S - (Martin to Summerkin)
- Surnames T to Z - (Thacker to Wynn)
"The Rector and his Flock" (pub.1980) Edited by David Ellison:
- Introduction* by David Ellison (given below).
- The Croydon Riot* - Cambridge Assizes October 1832
- Croydon Farmers - Croydon farms and farmers (in progress).
 
Croydon Parish Church:
- Croydon Parish Church - a short introduction and history.
- Sunday School and Confirmation Lists* (1842-1846)
- Revd Francis Fulford - Rector 1841-1845.
- Revd R S B Sandilands - Rector 1845-1864.
- Baptisms (1840-1850)* - Croydon Church Records.
- Banns (1840-1850) - Croydon Church Records.
- Marriages (1840-1850) - Croydon Church Records.
- Burials (1840-1850)* - Croydon Church Records.
- 150th Anniversary Sermon* - By the Bishop of Montreal on the       150th Anniversary of Francis Fulford's Consecration as       Bishop.
Croydon Miscellany:
- Early Croydon Photographs.
- 1841 Census. The Croydon census for Sunday 6 June 1841:
      Page One*, Page Two, Page Three, Page Four.
- The Lost Convict* - Four of the threshing machine rioters were       sentenced to be transported to Australia. But...
- Croydon History - Domesday Book and Parish history.
Website:
- Contact the Site* - Contact the site via e-mail.
- Guestbook* - 'Speculum Gregis' public feedback and enquiries.
- The 2005 Website* - Archived embarrassment! [External Site]
External Sites:
- Croydon Parish Council. [External Site]
- 'All Saints' Croydon's Parish Church. [External Site]
- Wimpole Past - Local history and genealogy. [External Site]
- The Clopton Way (.pdf) (Cambridgeshire County Council leaflet).
- History and Footpath Map (.pdf) (Croydon Parish Council leaflet).
The village of Croydon was recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book where its name was spelled 'Crauudene' - derived from the Old English crawe and denu, meaning 'Valley of the Crows'. This evolved to Crawden and Crauden. Although the parish and village are now officially 'Croydon', until the last century the village   was more usually known as Croydon-cum-Clopton [= 'Croydon-with-Clopton'].
Clopton (or Clapton) was a medieval village to the west of Croydon which became deserted in the 16th century. The site of Clopton, a 'lost' village, is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
[This online edition of the Croydon "Speculum Gregis", owes a huge debt to the Bassingbourn Booklet published in 1980 as "The Rector and his Flock". This is the booklet's own introduction by series editor David Ellison.]
"The Rector and his Flock"
"The Reverend Francis Fulford was instituted as Rector of Croydon in Cambridgeshire in July 1841, remaining in that parish for four years. He compiled a list of inhabitants adding their ages, occupations, literacy and church attendance as well as some 'off the cuff' comments. The notebook - a Speculum Gregis or 'Mirror of his Flock' - was updated by his successor, the Reverend Sandilands until 1848, when it was put away with other parish documents, and eventually after the departure of the last resident Rector, was deposited in the Cambridgeshire Record Office (P 53/1/11).
"Two young people from Croydon, Sharon Leonard and Clare Randall, became interested in it when studying the past history of the village and its people. A junior form [at Bassingbourn Village College], 2A, transcribed parts of it in the 1978 summer term, from a zerox [photocopy], and Mrs Leonard kindly retyped the text initially.
"As the Rector himself wrote a short preface we have left this at the beginning, and added a concluding commentary. The cover is the
 
work of Clare Randall, Kevin Knight, assisted by Mrs Carol Bibby. Andrew Hitch redrew the plan of the Caxton workhouse.
"Help with old photographs, and much other assistance, has come from Mr Michael Petty of the Cambridgeshire Collection in Lion Yard, Cambridge. We acknowledge the assistance and courtesy of Mr Stanley French of Downing College, who most kindly allowed pupils into his archives on more than one occasion. The London, Ontario, Librarian took the trouble to forward out letter of enquiry to the Public Archives of Canada, who kindly forwarded a copy of a document showing Croydon people in Canada. The Librarian of Montreal cathedral also sent us Xeroxes of old Canadian biographies of Fulford.
"The draft on Victorian Croydon was most kindly read by David Billings, Terry Smoth and Mrs Muriel Singleton of the College staff; the sheets were collated by kind pupils, and Mrs Lorna Burnhams and Mrs Peel did the photolith work. The errors that remain are the Editor's."
David Ellison
Editor
"Net Proceeds to the Bassingbourn Village College School Fund and the Croydon Parochial Church Council."
Church Farm c1930 Croydon Cottage c1900 Croydon Parish Church (Window) 'Axe & Compass' P.H. 1915 (after the fire) - Page 1. Church Farm c1930
Croydon Parish Church (Stained Glass) High Street, Croydon c1906 Plan of Croydon Parish Churchn Rev Francis Fulford 1850 Croydon Parish Church (Nave)
© Copyright Steve Odell and the WimpolePast website 2002-2021. Website security
- Contact the Website here.
- All information on this web site is supplied in good faith.
- No responsibility can be taken for errors or omissions.
- This site does not use cookies.

This page was last updated on: 06 March 2021
Page rebuilt 14 February 2021.