search tips advanced search
Detail from the Last Supper stained glass window in All Saints Parish Church Croydon, in memory of Sophia Mirabella Sandilands, wife of the rector 1859 Wimpole Past Logo
Speculum Gregis 1843
'An Account of all the Inhabitants of the Parish of Croydon
in the County of Cambridgeshire commencing from 1 January 1843'
by Reverend Francis Fulford 1803-1868 (Rector at Croydon 1841-1845).
Additional notes by Reverend R S B Sandilands (Rector 1845-1864).
Francis Fulford (1803-1868)Francis Fulford (1803-1868),
Lord Bishop of Montreal.
Photographed in Canada by W M Notman in 1861.

The Cambridgeshire Hunt used to meet outside the 'Downing Arms' (p71) for the odd stirrup cup or two. One of the former bursars of Downing College Dr John Perkins used to hunt from here with his friend W G Grace, the cricketer.

The mother of Mary Fulford (the wife of Revd Fulford) was a sister of the Right Hon Spencer Perceval , the only UK prime minister to have been assassinated while in office.

The first Sir George Downing, buried in All Saints Church, Croydon, was the builder of Downing Street in London, the short thoroughfare that now houses the official residences of the British Prime Minister and the Chancellor of the Exchequer. No's 10, 11 and 12 Downing Street still retain the original facade as built by Downing between 1682 and 1684.

Croydon Farmworkers John Kidman, Anderson Storey, James Kidman and John Green were sentenced to seven years transportation to New South Wales, Australia, for their part in 'breaking a threshing machine' (Croydon Riot). Anderson Storey and John Green (The Lost Convict) apparently served their sentence in English jails. John Green returned to Croydon where the Revd Fulford described him (p58) as "now a very steady man, sings in the choir at Croydon Church, and is a Communicant."

Downing Family Arms

The "Downing Arms" (p71), once a farmhouse, became licensed as a public house with that name in 1827. It was also widely known locally as 'The Scratching Cat' because the pub sign outside showed the Downing family arms (above) - featuring a heraldic griffin - which the locals did not recognise.

The Right Reverend Francis Fulford, DD, Lord Bishop of Montreal. Illustration for The Illustrated London News, 24 August 1850.
From 'The Illustrated London News',
24 August 1850.
Our Speculum Gregis Guestbook! Click on the 'Sign Guestbook' link below to post. You could ask a question for other readers, provide site feedback, or perhaps provide or request related family information.
Submitted e-mail addresses are fully protected and are not published, although posters can choose to invite replies via a protected link if they wish.
This Guestbook is not moderated although entries are automatically scanned for bad language. So play nice!

Croydon Cottage c1900 John Blowes 'Axe & Compass' (Rebuilt) Grave Marker - Mary Ann Pell High Street (1920s)
Procession to the dedication of Croydon's War Memorial, January 1922 'Axe & Compass' P.H. c1914 (before the fire) - Page 1. Ruth Endersby (1820-1902)- Page 37 William Endersby (1819-1897)- Page 37 Headstones, Simons Family - Page 71
© Copyright Steve Odell and the WimpolePast website 2002-2021. Website security
- Contact the Website here.
- All information on this web site is supplied in good faith.
- No responsibility can be taken for errors or omissions.
- This site does not use cookies.

This page was last updated on: 21 February 2021
Page rebuilt 18 February 2021.