Site search by Findberry

A local history and genealogy site for Wimpole, a village and parish in South Cambridgeshire.
Curated by Steve Odell.

Home     Church Hub     Parish Register Hub     Wimpole Rectors

Thomas Worsley 1501, Priest
St Andrew's Parish Church, Wimpole
(A Wall-Mounted Brass in the Chicheley Chapel)

St Andrew's Parish Church, Wimpole
St Andrew's Parish Church, Wimpole
A living church for the Parish of Wimpole, located within the National Trust's Wimpole Estate.
The Church is managed and maintained by the Parochial Church Council
.




The Thomas Worsley Brass 1501
The Chicheley Chapel has a wall-mounted brass figure of Thomas Worsley (tonsured priest, bareheaded, in surplice and a cope featuring a geometrical floral pattern) with part of a prayer scroll and seated figure of Virgin and Child enthroned above, with six lines of Latin hexameters below.
The Latin verse engraved in 'old English' lettering is hard to transcribe but it is thought to read:
"Marmore Sub Gelido Thomas Worsley tumulatur
Jure sub utrogy bacularius eft Graduatus
Atque beverlaci quodam Residens fuit Ille
Hic Cantarie Matris Marie benefactor
Egreditur Mundum februs ter in octo diebus
Cristi Millens quingenteno quoque primo"
This translates (very roughly) along the lines of:
"Under this cold marble lies Thomas Worsley entombed,
A bachelor Graduate under law,
And a Residentiary of Beverley
[Minster],
A benefactor of the Mother of Mary Chantry
[St Mary's altar at Beverley],
A high fever three times in eight days,
To Christ's meaning fifteen hundred and one"
I would be most pleased to hear from any Latin scholars who could offer a more authoritive transcription and translation of the verse. [Contact the Website]
The Brass Rubbing
The above rubbing of the Thomas Worsley brass at Wimpole was made in 1891 by Oswin J. Charlton M.A., LL.M., F.S.A. (1871-1941), Solicitor and Antiquary of Newcastle upon Tyne, during his student days in Cambridge. The original is held by the University of Newcastle in the 'Charlton Collection of Brass Rubbings'.
To the Wimpole Rectors (Thomas Worsley).


This page was last updated on: 09 August 2019.

St Andrew's Parish Church.
A living church for the Parish of Wimpole, located within the National Trust's
Wimpole Estate.
The Church is managed and maintained by the Parochial Church Council

Aerial View of St Andrew's Parish Church, Wimpole, 2016
Aerial View of St Andrew's Parish Church 2016.
Wimpole Rectory is on the right.
By agreement © John Fielding 2016, all rights reserved.


Contact the Website
     Read Our Guestbook
Website © Copyright 2000-2019 Steve Odell


Website security